Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Apologies again to anyone who was sitting there, holding their breath and waiting for an update on my weekend activities.

After my post on Friday I had a stroke of inspiration that made me order a DVD for Dianne that I think she'd like. Go figure that we watched TV together that night and she mentioned at least two things that then sounded like better presents. Hmph.

A sudden spate of keen-ness (aided by a gurgling heater that woke me up at an ungodly hour) saw me in the gym on Saturday morning - a rash decision for which my nether portions have yet to forgive me. Did a bit of flat-visiting in the afternoon and saw quite a nice place on Northcote Road that I could quite easily see myself living in. I have since been informed that, in actual fact, I will not be living there. Hey ho.

Watched Hot Fuzz, which made me giggle but not laugh out loud. Good film though, understated humour and a good amount of referencing back to things I found funny in Shaun of the Dead as well. I shall watch Simon Pegg's future endeavours with considerable interest.

Went to see another flat on Sunday afternoon and, have to say, had my faith in humanity shaken a little. It turned out to be a house with SIX people living in it (bad start), with stains on the carpet (ick), broken sofas (really disturbed by this point), a bathtub that was missing tiles and had exposed pipes along the bottom (horrified) and a kitchen that looked like nobody had ever wiped it down after a fry-up (nearly the last straw). The people that lived in there were all roughly my age, possibly even a little older in one case, so I couldn't even write it off as student behaviour. Then they had the colossal nerve to tell me that lots of interested parties had viewed it, so they couldn't be sure if I would get the room. It took all my willpower not to tell them that not only did I not want the room but that no amount of showers would ever make me feel clean again after this vile experience. When I heard that one of the bills for the month was apparently for a cleaner, I knew the last straw had come and gone; the camel's back was in pieces. I fled.

Sunday night saw another bit of drama, as Dianne attempted a bit of DIY, trying to bleed our radiators. The gurgling noises were simply unbearable and the house was getting progressively colder all week. It seemed to work at first but then the whole thing went kaput and we had no heating or hot water. After a minor amount of drama from Ms Ramsay, we called the landlady who in turn called 'the little man' who came along and sorted it out in just under 15 minutes. The upshot of all this being that now that winter is coming to an end and we're both scheduled to move out soon, we have a wonderfully warm and toasty house =P

Yesterday disappeared in a haze of busy-ness and this week looks like another packed few days. What it is to be so popular!

No comments: