Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Hurrah! Titles!

It has been a busy week so far, with not much hope of it easing up any time soon. *Sigh*

Have seen two more flats so far but nothing that has taken my breath away sufficiently to warrant mentioning in any depth.

Kate's last day tomorrow and I am pretty distraught, but am attempting to hide it under a veil of scornful disregard. One of these days, something is going to snap - I can just tell.

Machinations with getting my UK work permit should begin soon and it looks like the time-frame for getting it all sorted out might be April/May, meaning I might have to put off the US trip I was planning to do at that time. On the plus side, Campbell has come through with an interesting proposition for spending his 30th birthday in St Petersburg that should serve as a cheerful substitute. I shall ignore the following statements from the WikiTravel site on the city:
  • St Petersburg is known for violent conflicts and is notorious for violence and break-ins
  • After the war with Chechnya, local hatred is growing toward people with darker complexions and neo-Nazism is a concern
  • Russian drivers do not respect pedestrians too much... Do not even think about running over the road when there is a red light because some drivers will just drive faster and not stop, even if they hit you
  • Steer clear of stray dogs, as some are aggressive

And my personal favourite:

  • In some places in St Petersburg, you should not brush your teeth with the tap water, nor open your mouth during showers
Right, where do I sign up for this trip?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WHAT??? Been away for a few days and just read your blog. Can't believe you won't be coming to the US. I'm heart broken. :( You have to come. I was so excited.